The last time you heard from me I had just made a decision, after months of agonising. The decision, remember, was to finish my doctorate, and to stay in Toronto until I did so.
Well, that was a hard decision to implement, which is why you haven’t heard from me in over a month. In the last five weeks:
1. I did a lot of apartment-hunting, which reminded why it was that I never did rent an apartment in Toronto in all these 6 years (subletted once, but that doesn’t really count);
2. I went to Montreal twice, in order to keep my sanity;
3. In the period of ten days, I managed to apply for a job, get through the whole interviewing process, receive an offer, accept it, and later decline it — all within ten days;
4. I learned a lot about accounting;
5. I moved for the fifth time in two years. The previous record of seven moves in two years is still intact, although I start to lose count of what counts as a move and what doesn’t (staying somewhere for a couple weeks while you look for your own place — does that come into the equation?);
6. I was forced to confront my past decisions and life priorities and all that jazz, and found it all very enlightening. I think I am currently several years, maybe a decade, more mature than two months ago (not older, mind you. If anything, I’m acting younger and younger as months go by. Part of the whole maturing thing).
7. In particular, it’s been less than a week since my last move. But it definitely feels more like a year. Partly because a lot of things have happened. Partly because I have managed to implement so many little changes in behaviour that I do feel like a different person. And then there is the change of pace that comes with a new academic year + the change of routine that comes with living at a different place + the change in temperature that made days like today feel like summer was a thing of the past = feeling that more than just a week has gone by.
So I have a lot to write to you about. Hardly know where to start. Maybe most recent thing first, just to practice the whole timing thing (I’ve realized my sense of timing is in general very poor, and have decided to work on it). So let me tell you how my day today was (or maybe I should say yesterday, given that it is now past midnight. Oh well. Saturday, Sept 6, which still feels like today but no longer is. Very emblematic of my life, actually. Sigh. Maybe I should leave it for what feels like tomorrow but actually is today, that is, Sunday, Sept 7th. Another sigh. I think I need some sleep — it has been a long day, an even longer week, and an even longer parenthesis. Sleep wins.).